Bookshops.com.au your guide to Australian Bookshops
Search Books Search for a Bookshop Log In to bookshops.com.au    View items in your shopping cart
Browse Bookshops   About Us   Resources   Sell Books   List a Bookshop   Register   
Click for full size image
The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway : An Illustrated Guide
Anon.
Book Number: 016869
The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway Preservation Company United Kingdom 1968 20 pages b/w photos - containing a history of the railway, a description of the route into Welshpool and notes on locomotives, rolling stock and other information. The W&LLR was one of the few narrow gauge branch lines to be built under the provisions of the 1896 Light Railways Act. Noted narrow gauge promoter Everard Calthrop appeared at the Light Railway Inquiry, and proposed the use of transporter wagons. However the line ended up being built by the Cambrian Railways engineer, with consequent conservative 4-wheel wagon and other provisions. It was opened on 4 April 1903 to aid economic development in a remote area, never making a profit. It was originally operated by the Cambrian Railways, connecting with it at the former Oswestry and Newtown Railway station in the town of Welshpool. The line is built through difficult country, having a great number of curves in order to reach the summit of 600 ft. The original terminus at Welshpool was located alongside the main line station and trains wound their way through the town, using the locomotive bell as a warning. In the 1923 Grouping of railway companies, Cambrian Railways, including the Welshpool to Llanfair Caereinion line, was absorbed by the Great Western Railway (GWR). On 9 February 1931 the line lost its passenger service, which was replaced by a bus service, and it became a freight-only line. It was temporarily re-opened to passengers between 6 and 11 August 1945 for the Eisteddfod. The GWR itself was nationalised in 1948 and became part of British Railways. Freight traffic lingered on until 1956, by which time British Railways decided to close the line, with services ceasing on 5 November. A group of volunteers and enthusiasts took the line over and started raising money to restore it. On 6 April 1963 the western half of the line, from Llanfair Caereinion to Castle Caereinion, was reopened as a tourist railway.  
Price: $8.00 (AUD)
Postage Rates   Send Inquiry


Bookshop Name:
Inventory:
Bookshop Type:
Region:
Contact Name:
Address:
Postal Address:
Email:
Phone:
Fax:
Description:
Opening Hours:
Specialties:
Terms:
Payment Types: