Lee, Charles E.: Sixty Years of the Piccadilly
Book Number: 8368
London Transport London, England 1966 25 pages b/w photos - The Piccadilly line began as the Great Northern, Piccadilly & Brompton Railway one of several railways controlled by the Underground Electric Railways Company of London, whose chief director was Charles Tyson Yerkes, although he died before any of his schemes came to fruition. The GNP&BR was formed from the merger of two earlier, but unbuilt, tube-railway companies taken over in 1901 by Yerkes' consortium: the Great Northern & Strand Railway and the Brompton & Piccadilly Circus Railway . The GN&SR's and B&PCR's separate routes were linked with an additional section between Piccadilly Circus and Holborn. A section of the District Railway's scheme for a deep-level tube line between South Kensington and Earl's Court was also added in order to complete the route. When the GNP&BR was formally opened on 15 December 1906, the line ran from the Great Northern Railway's station at Finsbury Park to the District Railway's station at Hammersmith. On 30 November 1907, the short branch from Holborn to the Strand (later renamed Aldwych) opened, which had been planned as the last section of the GN&SR before the amalgamation with the B&PCR was made. In 1905 (and again in 1965), plans were made to extend it the short distance south under the River Thames to Waterloo, but this never happened. Although built with twin tunnels, single-line shuttle operation became the norm on the branch from 1918 on, with the eastern tunnel closed to traffic.