West, Bill: The Trainmakers : The Story of Wolverton Works
Book Number: 019054
Barracuda Books Buckingham, Bucks., England 1982 175 pages index b/w photos line drawings Wolverton railway works was established in Wolverton, Buckinghamshire, by the London and Birmingham Railway Company in 1838 at the midpoint of the 112 mile-long route from London to Birmingham. The line was developed by Robert Stephenson following the great success of the Liverpool and Manchester Railway line. The Victorian era new towns of Wolverton and New Bradwell were built to house the workers and service the works. The older towns of Stony Stratford and Newport Pagnell grew substantially too, being joined to it by a tramway and branch line (known as the "Newport Nobby"), respectively. The trams were also hauled by steam locomotives : the tram cars were certainly the largest ever in the UK and possibly the world.