Houghton, Norman: Closed 50 Years Ago : The Colac to Beech Forest Narrow Gauge Railway - Commemorative Booklet - 30 June 2012
Book Number: NH-001
Norman Houghton Geelong, Victoria, Australia 2012 A4 52 pages b/w photos - The Colac to Crowes line was built to serve the local timber and farming community. It was built in two stages, and closed in three stages. The section from Colac to Beech Forest was opened on 1/3/1902. The extension to Crowes was opened on 20/6/1911. The section from Ferguson to Crowes was closed on 9/12/1954. From Ferguson to Weeaproinah was re-opened on 19/1/1955. The closed section was pulled up using trains in 1961. The rest of the railway was closed on 30/6/1962, a few days before the re-opening of the Puffing Billy Railway. When opened the line from Colac to Beech Forest was worked as one section under the Staff and Ticket system. With the extension to Crowes another staff section was added. By 1913 there were four staff stations Colac, Gellibrand, Beech Forest and Crowes, with Barongarook and Banool available as temporary staff stations. All of these stations except Crowes had signals.